You’re in loooooove and I’m thrilled that you’re considering me to capture such an exciting time in your lives! Engagement sessions are so very important for a whole bunch of reasons: it’s a way to capture your personalities and relationship in a more casual environment, get great images for your ‘save the dates,’ guestbook, or slideshow, and get to know your photographer and how they work! It’s helpful for me to see how you interact with each other and discover your personalities so that they shine through in your photographs. In fact, I think engagement sessions are so important that I include them in ALL of my wedding package options. And I’ll let you in on a little secret… engagement sessions are fun too! It’s also important for us to build a relationship so that when it comes to your wedding, you won’t have to worry about a complete stranger following you around. Your photographer may actually spend more time with you than anyone else on your wedding day– from getting ready to rocking out on the dance floor, so make sure they’re at least a little fun to be around!
Here are some helpful tips to make your engagement photo session go smoothly!
Where: Choose a location that’s meaningful to you or your relationship. Where did you first meet? Where was your first date? Where did he propose? Where do you like to spend your time together? Most of my sessions are outdoors at local parks, beaches, waterfalls, family property, around town… What kind of look do you want for your photos and where are you comfortable?
What to Wear: Something that makes you feel GREAT, of course! Choose clothing that complements each other’s (but isn’t too matchy matchy)!
- Keep it comfortable and natural- if you’re comfortable dressing up, then go for it! But if you’re more relaxed in jeans and t-shirts, wearing a style that’s not as comfortable for you probably won’t help you relax.
- Try to keep it simple- avoid too many crazy patterns or bright colors unless it’s an accessory like a scarf/tie. (There are TONS of clothing ideas on Pinterest!)
- Maybe wear a few layers or bring a change of clothing if you want a casual look and then a more dressy one and feel free to accessorize!
- Don’t forget your hands and feet! Your fingers and toes may show up in some of the photos so it’s a great excuse for a manicure & pedicure! (and don’t wear your dirty, green, lawn-mowing shoes… unless that’s really the look you’re going for…) 😉
- Your engagement ring! Let’s get some nice photos of your finger bling!
Props: Props can be really fun! Did you get engaged at Second Cup? Is your relationship so sweet because of peanut butter M&M’s? Did your relationship blossom over a game of Frisbee? Involving important elements of your relationship is a fun way to make your session personal!